Jo Ann Lederman M.S.Ed., LMFT
Executive Director, South Miami Psychology Associates
Solution Oriented Individual Therapy:
Patients learn to mobilize and strengthen their inner resources for more effective performance. They feel better as impediments to function are identified; what's not working, and why? As insight grows, the patient will develop new thinking and skills with which to generate fresh solutions. Therapy is brief and active, focused on creating new outcomes.
Brief Solution Oriented Marriage and Family Therapy:
Identification, exploration, and treatment for issues related to family dynamics, and couples issues related to, but not limited to, marital, pre-marital, post-marital problems, conflict, crisis, separation, divorce and thereafter, empty nest syndrome, widowhood, etc.
- 25 year member of the American Society of Group Workers
- Women's groups
- Marital communications groups
- Infertility groups
- Weight reduction groups
- Socially avoidnt teen groups
The process of education coupled with guided bonding and sharing, in an emotionally safe and healing environment, reduces feelings of isolation while promoting permanent changes and lifetime friendships.
Personnel profiling, personnel interactions, marketing, development, procedures and training.
An early exponent of Behavioral Medicine:
Lectures to physicians and the public regarding the efficacy of mind/body approaches to healing.
Creator/Author of Meditapes:
Guided music/visual imagery medical relaxation audio exercises to promote health and healing. The series includes "Getting a Good Night's Sleep": for deepest relaxation and for insomnia, "Thinking Thin and Healthy": motivation and gentle guidance to lose weight and keep it off, "Relax Pak": let go and unwind using a tapestry of guided imagery and soothing music, "Chemotherapy Comfort": to comfort and guide you as you relax and enhance the beneficial effect of chemotherapy.
Referred to and Quoted in Various National Periodicals
In Style: "Wedding Stress"
New York Times: "Hers Column" August 20, 1987, August 27, 1987, On Language "The Mother Tongue" May 14, 1989, The Dream: Killing Your Husband, "Being Safe", and "Strings Attached"
Newsday: Cityscape "Snowflakes: Magic You Can Count On", New York Forum "Ignorance and Bliss", "The Perils of Shrugging Off Parenthood"
The Miami Herald: "At and Under the Passover Table"
Oprah: "Looking for Mr. Chocolate Bar"
GQ: "Blind Fury"
Redbook: "The Great Gift Anxiety", "The Scariest Moment in a Marriage", and "To My Sister"
Family Circle: "Built Not To Last", "The Helpless-Husband Syndrome", "The Gender Wars", "How to Deal with People Who Bug You", "Are Your Friends Asking Too Much of You?", "Exit Laughing", "Here Today, Gone Tomorrow", and "The Secret to Successful Marriages"
Good Housekeeping: "Kiss and Make Up"
Allure: "Terms of Endearment"
Workshops and Lectures Presented
- Temple Beth Am - Feeling Good in Hard Times
- Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center - Fostering Compliance in Cancer Patients
- Baptist Hospital of Miami - National Osteoporosis Foundation Imagery Workshop
- WPO - Visual Imagery for Health and Healing
- B'Nai Brith - Normal Phases of Marital Development
- University of Miami - Adult Children of Alcoholics
- University of Miami - Assertion Training for Couples
- Temple Beth Am - Emerging Woman
- South Miami Psychology Associates - Emerging Woman
- Project Resolve - Adoption and After
- Collaborative Law Division in Florida Bar
- American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists AAMFT
- Florida Association of Marriage and Family Therapists FAMFT
- Dade Association of Marriage and Family Therapists DAMFT
- American Counseling Association ACA
- American Society of Group Workers ASGW
- Florida Society of Clinical Hypnosis FSCH
- Alliance of Remarkable Women
- Temple Beth Am Tikkun Olam Committee
- Temple Beth Am Programming Committee
- Temple Beth Am Outreach Committee
- Board of Trustees Advocates for Children and Families
- Board of Trustees The Miami Forum
- Program Chairman The Miami Forum
- Chair Fundraising Event for The Melissa Violence Prevention
- Patron of The Lowe Art Museum
- Who's Who in Biofeedback
- Who's Who in American Women
Community Activities (Past)
- Board of Trustees Women's Emergency Network
- Board of Trustees Friends of Chamber Music
- Citizens Board University of Miami
- Presidents Council University of Miami
- Packard Society Tufts University
- Parents Council Tulane University
- President African Art Society
- Board of Trustees Palmer School
- President Boosters Club Palmer School
- Fund Raising Event for Epilepsy Foundation of South Florida
- Intern at WTVJ "Montage" Award Winning Investigative Report on John Elliott Blood Bank
- Officer PTA Board Temple Beth Am